Maybe you’re already using lemon juice in some of your homemade green cleaning recipes, but did you know that you can also incorporate it into your beauty routine? Check out these beauty uses for lemons!
Lemon juice has a pH of 2, which is pretty low. That means it’s not ideal for sensitive skin, unless it’s very diluted. If you’re not sure whether your skin can handle lemon’s acidity, I’d suggest making a small batch of any recipe you want to try and patch test it.
Its natural acidity makes lemon juice a great exfoliator. The recipes below take advantage of lemon’s low pH to treat dry or damaged skin.
5 Beauty Uses for Lemons
1. Lemon-Tomato Face Mask – Are you prone to breakouts? This weekly face mask can help!
2. Lemon Facial Scrub – Did winter leave your face feeling dry and dull? This moisturizing scrub sloughs away those dry, dead skin cells and nourishes the healthy skin on your face.
3. Fix a Bad Fake Tan – Did your sunless tanner leave your skin orange and streaky? Lemon juice to the rescue!
4. Sugar Wax – Looking for an alternative to shaving, but don’t want to use harsh chemical depilatories or petroleum-based wax? Try this ancient recipe using sugar and lemon juice.
5. Homemade Foot Scrub – This recipe combines lemon juice with one of my other favorite food-based beauty ingredients: coconut oil!
One word of caution: Never use lemon juice on injured or broken skin. Chances are it won’t cause any damage, but it stings like nothing else. Learn from my mistake!
Image Credit: Lemons photo via Shutterstock
Get non-toxic and cruelty free beauty and health tips from FeelGoodStyle!