Graduation season is upon us, and you know what that means: delicious desserts, overwhelming small talk, and the best part: gift giving! Let’s be honest, all graduates really want is money to buy the necessities. But for those of us on a tight budget, a gift of five or ten dollars may come off as a little tacky to our friends or family. No need to fear, Do It Yourself is here! DIY graduation gifts are easy and fun, save you money, and give that special someone something irreplaceable. Aside from the classic canvas, mascot paintings and embellished mason jars, the trick is to take something useful and add a cute factor. Check it out!
- Grab a used mug from your pantry or favorite thrift store. Decorate with sharpies and stick in the oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Done.
- Want to make use of that overflowing drawer of never-worn tees? If your graduate is willing to give them up, turn each shirt into a quilt square and sew away! No time to sew? Here’s a simple, no-sew tutorial.
- Use clothes pins to attach dollar bills to the inside of an inexpensive umbrella! Be sure to add a pun-tastic quote to seal the deal: “Makin’ it rain” or “Save these for a rainy day”.
- Is your graduate into music? Throw together a mix CD with songs to help them relax, get pumped up, or focus on work. You could even make multiple and present an entire collection!
- Reuse a glass or plastic bottle and stuff it with encouraging quotes to help them get through the day. This one is a bit cheesy, but you never know what can make someone smile!
Have something lying around the house that never gets used? Put your own creative twist to it and DIY graduation gift away!