Published on June 1st, 2015 | by Brooke Lacey0
Product Review: Dr. Bronner’s Organic Shave Gel
I saw it on sale at Whole Foods this weekend for $5.49, which makes it just about one of the most reasonably-priced things in the entire store. So it was that, and my dire need of shaving cream/gel, that prompted me to buy it.
Confession: My beauty regimen isn’t completely organic at this point, but I’m slowly replacing my old paraben and fragrance-laden products with natural and organic variants. So I was especially tempted by Dr. Bronner’s organic shave gel… and I’ve been using conditioner in lieu of shaving cream for about a month and trust me it’s just not the same!
Dr. Bronner’s Organic Shave Gel: Pros and Cons
Overall, I’m totally pleased with my purchase and I will definitely be buying Dr. Bronner’s organic shave gel again.
I’ll start off with the pros:
- It smells amazing. I bought the lavender one, and it smells like a spa facial. It’s perfectly calming and relaxing and the smell diffuses everywhere during a hot shower. So much yes.
- It lathers nicely. Not as quickly as conventional shaving creams and gels, but it gets the job done!
- It really works in helping you get a closer shave. Especially compared to the conditioner I’ve been using for the past month, this stuff was a welcome change!
And the cons:
- It’s really more like a shaving liquid, than a shaving gel. It’s kind of messy. And because of all the oils, it gets everything kind of sticky until you can rinse it off. A lot of the Amazon reviewers complained about this too.
- The dirty-brownish color can be kind of a turn-off. If you’re used to bright white and pastel shaving creams, this is not one of those! It looks kind of like maple syrup with dirt in it. (See photo below) But I promise the smell is fantastic so don’t let looks fool you!
The market for organic beauty products, especially organic shave gels, is pretty limited. So this one is definitely worth a shot! If you’re trying to clean up your beauty routine or just want to incorporate more organic essential oils into your regiment, Dr. Bronner’s organic shave gel is for you!
Having used both organic and conventional products, I’ll say there’s not much of a difference between Dr. Bronner’s and any other conventional shaving gel. But again, it’s one of the few organic options out there so I’d recommend making the switch to this brand if you’re considering it.
Another cool feature is that it’s Fair Trade certified. Dr. Bronner’s sources all of their organic essential oils from fair trade farmers.
And they don’t test it on animals either!
So, where to buy! Like I said before, I got mine on at Whole Foods but you can also get it online here. Hope you like it as much as I did!
Get non-toxic and cruelty free beauty and health tips from FeelGoodStyle!