As I look back on 2014 and think about my resolutions for 2015, I, like the rest of the world, would like to concentrate on a healthier new year, my general health and well-being. Of course I’d like to lose a few pounds, but, more importantly, I’d like to be mindful about my attempts at weight loss and improved physical activity and even more mindful about my emotional health.
Becky talked about effectively managing those resolutions by setting SMART goals, in her post for Vibrant Wellness Journal, which is the best place to start when determining how to best stick to a specific objective. With those guidelines and a resolution in mind, follow these 3 super-easy tips for a healthier new year.
3 Simple Tips for a Healthier New Year
1) When in doubt, write it down. And I mean everything. Keep a weekly menu so that you can also keep your sanity come 5 p.m. on a weeknight, but also so that you might use it to make your grocery list and to retrace your steps in order to count calories. Log your workouts and your meals on a free tracking site or app (I like SparkPeople). Write down the dates and times of your group exercise classes. If you don’t keep a planner or calendar, paper or electronic, consider doing so. You can’t improve what you can’t measure, so keep track for a healthier new year.
2) Clean house (and stock up)! Give your home some healthy organizing by tossing the items in your kitchen that spell disaster for your health. Get rid of the holiday sweets and snacks and replace with healthy (and super convenient) foods like:
- Canned beans and veggies (watch the label for excess salt and BPA)
- Frozen fruits (no sugar added) for smoothies and frozen veggies for dinner sides
- Whole grain bread, pre-prepared veg, and hummus for sandwiches
- Whole grains and seeds like bulgar and quinoa (try this easy weeknight recipe on for size)
3) Take care of you. Take a few moments for meditation or yoga during a crazy day. Take time for a massage whenever possible. Make sure to relax, breathe deep, and to recognize your own accomplishments. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but you can improve your health this year.
Get non-toxic and cruelty free beauty and health tips from FeelGoodStyle!