DIY Decor: Turn a Vintage Handkerchief into Wall Art
DIY decor has never been easier– turn a vintage handkerchief into wall art!
I kept a vintage handkerchief from my Grandma’s things after she passed, and I’ve been racking my brain on how to incorporate it into my decor. I wanted to create a decor piece that wouldn’t alter the handkerchief at all in case I wanted to do something else with it in the future. I finally decided to turn it into a beautiful piece of art (just like I turned a scarf into a piece of art over at Crafting a Green World)! It’s super simple to do and adds a perfect pop of vintage to my decor.
What You Will Need:
1. A vintage handkerchief. If you don’t have any in your wardrobe, you can often find vintage items at local thrift stores and garage sales.
2. A large, empty picture frame. You can find these in abundance at thrift stores and garage sales. Sometimes they just need a quick coat of low VOC spray paint to have a brand new look!
3. An iron (optional)
How To Do It:
1. (Optional) Depending on the current state of your handkerchief, you might want to give it a wash before you craft with it. Just remember to follow the washing/drying directions on the tag of the handkerchief.
2. (Optional) Iron your handkerchief to get rid of all of the wrinkles and creases. Again, follow the directions on the tag of the handkerchief as far as iron settings go– you definitely don’t want to burn a family heirloom. You could even spray starch it, too!
3. Open your picture frame and insert your handkerchief inside. My handkerchief was larger than my frame, so I had to carefully center it and then tuck the excess fabric inside the frame.
Wasn’t that incredibly easy? You can even turn it into a dry erase memo board! I plan on moving this cutie into my aqua and mustard yellow bedroom because the aqua flowers of the handkerchief will match! Don’t you just love vintage decor?
Get non-toxic and cruelty free beauty and health tips from FeelGoodStyle!