Published on April 16th, 2014 | by Bonnie Getchell0
DIY Jewelry: Update Your Earrings with Paint!
DIY jewelry projects don’t have to be complicated — simply update your earrings with paint!
Although I’ve heard that gold jewelry is making a come back, it’s not my favorite. With my super pale skin and blonde hair, gold earrings blend in way too much. My friend bought me a beautiful pair of gold earrings (pictured below), but I couldn’t get over the gold. Rather than donating them to the thrift store, I decided to update them with paint!
What You Will Need:
1. Earrings that need an update. This is what I started with:
3. Painter’s tape
4. Sand paper (optional)
5. Spray sealer (optional)
How To Do It:
1. Tape off the top part of your earrings (the part that goes into your ears).
2. Spray paint the front and back of the earrings. Remember, several light coats are key! One heavy coat can cause drips.
3. To bring out the details of the leaves, I lightly sanded my earrings with sand paper. You certainly don’t have to sand yours, but I think it really added depth and dimension to my earrings.
4. Wipe off your earrings. Then, seal the earrings with a spray sealer. I used a spray polycrylic. Polycrylic and other spray sealers aren’t the greenest craft supply, but will help protect your paint job over time. Otherwise, your paint might chip off a bit.
I can’t wait to wear my “new” earrings! They’re more of my style now and will really pop against my light hair color. I’m excited to update even more of my earrings — perhaps next time I’ll try a bright color for even more fun!
What color would you paint your earrings?
Looking for more DIY jewelry projects? Check these out:
- Sustainable Fashion: The Top 50 DIY Recycled Jewelry Projects
- DIY Terrarium Necklace
- 10 DIY Jewelry Projects from Recycled Materials
- DIY Fashion: Create a Belt Bracelet
Get non-toxic and cruelty free beauty and health tips from FeelGoodStyle!