We all love finding a great skincare product that really makes a difference to our skin. The question I think we should always ask first though is this: What can I put into my body to improve my skin?
After all, as they say, “You are what you eat!”
Of course the most important ingredient for good skin is water but we all know that right? Drink it plenty and often. There are also some great foods that can really make a difference to your skin from the inside. Here are my top 5:
1. Acerola Cherries – These little gems are incredibly rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential to healthy skin, as it aids collagen production and is also a powerful antioxidant. This means it fights skin damage caused by our environment and because it helps produce collagen, it helps bring more structure and strength to the skin.
2. Mangoes – These luscious fruits are also high in antioxidants but are included in the list because of their high Vitamin A content. If you don’t have enough Vitamin A in your diet your skin may appear drier and dull. The Vitamin A is important for cell repair, it contributes to better oxygenation of the tissue and is required for growth, therefore helps to extend youthfulness.
3. Almonds – Their abundance in Vitamin E and essential oils bring suppleness to the skin. Vitamin E also oxygenates the tissues and protects the functioning of the cells.
4. Wheat Germ – Wheat germ is simply a super food – it contains a high level of biotin (Vitamin B8) – this is highly important for a healthy immune system and it helps to maintain the skin and nervous system. It plays a role in distribution of pigmentation, therefore helping to maintain an even skin tone and also helping to prevent the hair from greying.
5. Avocadoes – These are rich in Vitamin B complexes and essential oils. One of the B vitamins they contain is Niacin (B3) – its dilates the blood capillary system, is an anti-inflammatory and is very soothing to the skin from the inside.
Of course you can get this potent mix of antioxidants and vitamins from many fruits. The more, the better!
Notice how all of these foods are fruits? And all are included for the essential vitamins and minerals that they contain? Doesn’t that remind you of all the beautiful skin care products that we pay for? They include Vitamins, Minerals, Essential Oils and Fruit Extracts.
What could be better than giving your skin these nutrients from within?
Photo Credit: Kopfjager via Flickr