in ,

Lingerie Party

  1. MAS Holdings, Sri Lanka’s biggest apparel company, has a new lingerie factory backed by Marks & Spencer (M&S), who is one of their best clients. The undergarment factory uses 40% less energy than a factory of the same size and the electricity is from renewable sources like 10% from on-site solar panels and the other 90% from hydro-power plant energy. MAS is reported to be the world’s first carbon-neutral clothes factory. The building also uses evaporative cooling, which uses much less energy than air-conditioning. The factory has many more energy-saving features like well designed windows providing enough natural light for working on intimates, and turf roofs providing cooling shade.

“The “green” underwear that MAS is now making at the factory for M&S will reach British high streets in June, and will cost no more than existing garments. For MAS, which had revenues of $700m last year, the “eco-factory” began as a branding experiment. Sri Lanka’s textiles firms, which account for 67% of the country’s industrial production, have higher costs than others in Asia, so they pick niches.” Via~ The Economist, the World Business Council for Sustainable Development as well as the Treehugger-Fashion/Beauty & Design/Architecture section

2. The Öko Box has done it again! This sexy vintage set features an adorable halter style top with a giant adjustable bow tie in the back! Bloomer style bottoms with another cute detachable bow and cinching down the center back. “The material is vintage cotton, and the bottoms are lined with organic cotton. All edges are serged with light pink thread.”

3. Eco Boudoir~ Luxury with a conscience features sexy, luxury materials produced in the most eco-friendly way possible. Their philosophy is to seek out designers that make a living without damaging their surroundings.

Read More About Eco Lingerie:

Written by Lucille Chi

Lucy Chi loves good green design, ethical fashion, environmental art and education, renewables, holistic healing and more. She has been dedicating her energies toward finding and drawing attention to all the ways in which products, companies, and industries are moving toward creating a more sustainable world on the global scale, as well as the way individuals are moving toward living sustainably, and healing at the personal level.

Sustainability studies: &
B.S. Cornell University, College of Human Ecology, Dept. of Textiles and Fiber Science.

Contact: lucillechi (at)

Can Your Jewelry Save the Earth? Ours Can! Part II

Eco-Boutique Spotlight: Ladita in San Francisco