Sage is a favorite healthy herb of mine with which to cook during the chillier months. I think it adds a warmth and a peppery sweetness to foods and it pairs beautifully with fall-friendly winter squash. It’s also lovely as a lightly fried garnish on, well, anything really.
Related: 5 Beauty Herbs and How to Use Them
As it turns out, sage is also an herbal health powerhouse, high in antioxidants and full of anti-inflammatory properties, it has been used for years as an health aid. Read on for more ways to infuse your life with a little more of this delicious, healthy herb.
How to up your daily healthy herb intake with delicious sage:
1. Start your day with a little sage-infused homemade body scrub (don’t sweat this one: just throw together 2 parts sugar of choice, 1 part neutral oil of choice, and some chopped or torn fresh sage or crumbled dried sage). Sage will work especially well on winter-worn skin, helping to rejuvenate and promote cell growth.
2. Get your bouncy hair on with some sage essential oil.
3. Use this healthy herb to combat cold-weather threats, especially the sore throat. Gargle a little or drink a nice sage tea to soothe and to attack oncoming congestion.
4. I like a breakfast saute of apples, kale, a little sausage and sage: saute one onion sliced in half moons, two diced, tart apples, as much kale as you can handle, just a touch of pork breakfast sausage or uncured bacon (I cook the meat separately and add toward the end ) and lots of torn fresh sage in oil of choice. Salt and pepper to taste. Easy-peasy-sagey-love.
5. DIP, because why wouldn’t you?
6. Is it 5 o’clock? Have a sage-centric cocktail.
Enjoy this healthy herb in your favorite dishes and for all-over wellness. Sage also has a bit of legendary past as well, allowing for a little mystery and requisite bad-boy (herb?) appeal.
Image credit: Sage photovia Shutterstock.