Red Flower is an inspirational natural beauty care company that believes the tradition of bathing is deeply connected to nature. I’ve become quite intrigued with their blend selections and cleansing rituals. In a recent interview I asked:
1. What does the word “sustainability” mean to red flower? We all have different definitions, and honor and appreciate those organizations such as yours that are moving into a holistic healing approach to working and living. To Red Flower “Sustainability” means:
- sustainable sourcing locally.
- working with the lumber industry to use otherwise wasted material.
- producing at 100 percent wind powered plant.
- to use soy based inks, to use recycled and recyclable packages.
- to conserve water and energy.
- to meet the criteria of bio dynamic, bio compatible and bio degradable.
- to create petrochemical free, dye sulfate and paraben free products.
- to use whole essential oils and natural certified organic ingredients.
- to educate and learn.
- to stay on an ever evolving path.
- to consider the lifecycle of every product.
2. What is your most popular line? Any amazing customer feedback to share?
The most popular products are the Indian Jasmine candle, the japan line especially the ohana gingergrass bamboo scrub and the wild cherry blossom room diffuser.
One customer said that using the Indian jasmine wash and gingergrass scrub “was like 7 minutes in heaven”— Mom of a 3 month old.
3. I am also interested in Red Flower’s holistic healing partnerships such the long term goals to collaborate with the Earth University and the Harmony hotel to biodynamically grow and directly distill flower oils on site in Costa Rica… When is the best time to experience the natural beauty and experience the recreation of the harmony hotel ?
At the Harmony Hotel the best time of year is from November to March.
4. I see you’re posting a spa finder on the site. Do you have any really special custom treatments at spas?
Every one of red flower’s treatments are extraordinary and detailed with rich massage modalities drawn from the best global traditions. The Mayflower Inn and Spa does a beautiful version of red flower hammam. The Carneros Inn and Spa is my favorite place to experience red flower japan. The VH spa at Valley Ho is the only place in the world to experience the red flower ocean treatment.
5. Tell us more about your custom scent blending! We custom blend primarily to scent a select group of luxury hotels and spas. This custom blending helps express a mission and fulfill and authentic experience. We blend entirely from whole essential oils that are sourced as far reaching places as Madagascar and India to local New York State organic farms.
Red Flower continues to create new luscious body care treatments that sooth the mind, body and spirit. The company philosophy “at one with nature” explains:
In tune with healing, meditative properties
of mineral rich waters, bathing to treat the body evolved
into a cleansing ritual of flowers, fruits, barks and
minerals. in keeping with this tradition of purification all
red flower products are pure and plant derived. the
natural flux in plant harvests that occur from season to
season keeps red flower in tune with the harmony of
nature.red flower is at the forefront of putting the environment
first in each of its product development and packaging
choices. all of red flower products are 100% vegetarian
and never tested on animals. 100% of the line is blended
with mindfulness and purity in upstate new york,
pennsylvania, oregon and california.