Nusta Spa in Washington, D.C., was our nation’s first day spa to achieve gold certification back in 2004. They were quickly accepted into the (LEED) Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design pilot program. This voluntary rating system is consensus-based, and was created by the U.S. Green Building Council to define and measure the official standards for the environmentally responsible building of commercial interiors, and gold certification is the best.
Some of the eco features are:
- All printed materials use eco-friendly paper and ink.
- Spa feautres a wall that is made from salvaged wood of a former barn.
- Nusta has carpeting with more than 50% recycled content.
- Energy efficient HVAC system and lighting installed.
- They carry eco-friendly product lines.
- Their maple flooring came from a sustainable forest.
- The locker room doors made from bamboo, which has a short harvest cycle.
Their philosophy is beautiful:
“Marrying sophisticated design with the highest standards of sustainability — Nusta Spa demonstrates that being ‘green” does not mean doing without. In creating Nusta Spa, we used non-toxic, rapidly renewable and recycled materials manufactured in an environmentally friendly way. The result is high-performance green design and a healthier environment for Nusta’s guests and employees. Nusta Spa’s commitment to environmental sustainability does not stop with the design of the space; impact on the environment has been an important factor in every decision we’ve made.”
After learning of this spa years ago while working on an eco consulting project, I have booked treatments for family members in D.C. who gave rave reviews!!
Read More About Eco Retreats:
- News from Paradise :: Daintree Rainforest Lodge and Spa : Feelgood …
- Responsible Travel
- NYT says “Green Goddess” : Feelgood Style
- Five-Star Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort: Global …
- A Sexy, Eco-Concious Hideaway in the Jungle : Feelgood Style