“Green dentistry is a whole-earth approach to tooth care that reduces the environmental impact of dentistry and creates a caring environment for clients.”
Green hygiene is a great topic we cover often here on Feelgood Style, from spas to natural cleaning, and home health remedies. Green oral hygiene is so important also. This is a new series I will start covering inspired by my recent cleaning at SF Green Dentist.
SF Green Dentist does so much more than just take hygiene to a new level, they are pioneering a new form of dentistry with their LEED certified oral wellness center that is striving toward zero waste.
The Green Dentistry team is committed to being green by:
- creating an office that has been designed to maximize energy efficiency and reduce our carbon footprint.
- using state-of-the-art dental technology to minimize toxic pollution and water waste.
- letting their patients know they’re exposed to 90 percent less radiation.
- using digital imaging technology instead of x-rays for tooth imaging eliminating the need for toxic x-ray development chemicals.
- the use of steam-based, surgical-grade instrument sterilization, contains no harmful chemicals and reduces water use.
- installing a special water filtration system allows for the environmentally sound disposal of old mercury fillings, to prevent pollution of our local water ways.
- using only biodegradable sterilization solutions are used to clean examination areas.
Remarkable moments of my visit included cozy touches like warm herbal neck wraps, relaxing music, and comfortable furniture.
Additional green dental office features include:
* recycled sheet-rock and denim for acoustical insulation.
* panels made from recycled plastic.
* furniture from with eco-resins, bamboo and reclaimed vinyl.
* forest Stewardship Council certified wood used for cabinet laminates have no PVC or formaldehyde content and are chlorine-free.
* resilient PVC- and chlorine-free flooring.
* natural cooling HVAC system with zone controls provides independent temperature zones to maximize comfort and energy efficiency.
* fully equipped with energy conserving appliances.