UVA & UVB radiation are the predominant causes of aging and it can’t be stressed enough how important it is to protect yourself from the harmful effects of too much sun exposure – all year round. Prevention rather than a cure is always the best approach.
1. Sunscreen. Every time you step outside your skin is exposed to UVA & UVB radiation whether it’s a cloudy or sunny day. It’s advised that you apply sunscreen prior to sun exposure and again 20-30 minutes after being outdoors if you are in full sun. Reapply regardless of water resistance after swimming. The best kinds are those that contain no chemicals and instead use microfine titanium dioxide or zinc oxide which reflect and block the harmful rays from penetrating your skin.
2. Find yourself a great SPF lip balm that contains good amounts of skin emollients like plant & nut butters to keep your lips protected and smooth.
3. Invest in a decent pair of sunglasses, preferably the wrap around variety to protect the sides of your eyes/face. It’s also important that they have good quality lenses to shield the eyes and filter out UVA & UVB rays.
4. Besides a killer pair of gorgeous shades, a hat is the next most important piece of clothing for Summer. There are a huge number of styles to satisfy even the most discerning fashionista among you!
5. Throw on a cover-up. Lightweight but densely woven clothing is the best thing to act as a barrier. Remember, skin will burn even through your clothing so if you’re spending extended time outdoors, make sure you still have sunscreen on underneath your clothes and move to the shade as much as possible.
6. A pretty Chinese parasol or vintage umbrella will not only protect you but makes a beautiful and unique fashion statement.
7. The peak hours for sun exposure are between 12-2pm in Winter. and in Summer from 10-3pm. Avoid exposure during these time frames. If you live in a really hot climate, use your judgment to adjust those hours accordingly.
8. Keep off the Tanning Beds. They will burn you just as the sun will so don’t be fooled into thinking it’s a safe way to tan. If you simply can’t give up your sessions, make sure you apply sunscreen so you protect your skin and won’t burn.
9. Use Fake Tan. We’re not suggesting you give up wanting that healthy sun-kissed look – just that you do it in a healthy way. You can now get some great, natural fake tans that give a realistic, healthy, golden glow.
10. If after all this good advice you still get burned – and let’s face it, it happens – make sure you have some after sun care products just in case. Aloe Vera based products are particularly soothing. The skin can keep burning for hours after sun exposure without you realizing so keep your after sun care in the refrigerator – the coolness will help stop the burn.