Published on January 22nd, 2015 | by Liz Thompson1
Got the Winter Blues? 7 Ways to Put Some Spring in Your Step
Winter blues got you down? Try these tips for a sunnier mood.
Most of us are affected in some way by the grey skies of winter. Whether you are experiencing low energy or full blown SAD, read on for tips to ward off the winter blues.
Other than hopping a plane to the nearest beach, what can you do to beat the wintertime blues? Lots! The right foods, supplements, devices, and lifestyle tweaks will have you feeling like spring has arrived early.
7 Ways to Avoid the Winter Blues
1. Healthy Fat – Omega-3 fatty acids are said to help boost the mood. They also reduce inflammation, which can help to prevent illness. Nuts, seeds, and spinach are all good sources of Omega-3s.
2. Vitamin D – Yes, the optimal way to get this vitamin is through sunshine. But lack of sun is the whole root of winter doldrums. Most of us who live in cloudy climates during winter months are low on Vitamin D. A supplement can make you feel better. As always, check with your doctor before starting anything new.
3. Vitamin C – We’ve all heard that C is good for fending off colds and flu. But how about boosting energy and lowering anxiety. Yep, Vitamin C is known for that too. Time to get your citrus on.
4. Lighten Up – Heard of a happy lamp? Otherwise known as a light box, the device simulates the daylight we are short on this time of year. Start with 30 minutes of exposure each day.
5. Bring it Om– Depressed thoughts usually center around the negative, furthering feel-bad mood. Meditation clears the mind and brings about clarity. There are several ways to practice meditation. Choose the one that appeals to you and give it a try.
6. Keep Moving – It can be difficult to workout when in a slump. But increasing the heart rate and getting blood pumping makes you feel good. Try these cold weather exercise motivators. Remember: everything counts.
7. The Real Thing – If you get a sunny day here and there, don’t waste it! Get outside for a brisk walk. Or sit by a window if it is too cold to spend time outdoors.
[Happy Light via Amazon, all other photos via Shutterstock]
Get non-toxic and cruelty free beauty and health tips from FeelGoodStyle!