Published on December 11th, 2013 | by Bonnie Getchell1
DIY Furniture Projects: Updating a Vintage Metal Cart
Reuse what you already have with DIY furniture projects like this vintage metal cart makeover!
While in Florida for Thanksgiving, my mom and I went on lots of thrifting and garage saling adventures– my favorite! We found this incredible vintage metal cart at a garage sale and I just had to have it. Here’s how I gave it a makeover to take it from trash to treasure!
What You Will Need:
2. Sand paper
3. Painter’s tape
4. Polycrylic (optional)
How To Do It:
1. Sand your cart. For me, this took a little bit more effort because mine had rust, a raised stencil, and patches where someone tried to remove the stencil. Take the extra time to make sure your surface is sanded– the sleek and smooth result once it’s painted will be worth the effort!
2. Clean the cart with a cloth. Make sure you get all of the nooks and crannies!
3. Tape off any areas you don’t want to paint. I taped off the vintage wheels.
4. Spray paint it! I always say this, but it’s so important to remember: thin, light coats will give you the best results when it comes to spray paint. If you try to do one thick coat, you will have drips in your paint job– and no one wants that!
5. Optional: For extra protection against every day wear and tear, I always give my pieces of furniture a coat of polycrylic. I use the spray polycrylic because it’s easier to apply. You can use a polyurethane as well, but I like polycrylic because it doesn’t yellow.
Metal carts like this one have so many styling possibilities– you can use it in your kitchen for extra counter space, in your craft studio for crafty organization, in your work space to reduce office clutter, or use it to entertain!
How would you style a metal cart and what would you use it for? Share your ideas in the comment section below!
Get non-toxic and cruelty free beauty and health tips from FeelGoodStyle!