Published on November 13th, 2013 | by Bonnie Getchell0
DIY Lighting: Revamp a Boring Light Fixture with Chalkboard Paint!
Do you have a boring light fixture that you would like to revamp? Add chalkboard paint for a fun and stylish makeover!
A few months ago, I found a cheap light fixture for $9.00. I loved it’s “bones” but it was too boring for my taste. After going back and forth between decopaging it and painting it (like the outdated gold chandelier makeover), I found the perfect solution– chalkboard paint! Here’s how I transformed my boring light into chalkboard awesomeness:
What You Will Need:
1. A boring and/or old light fixture. You can easily find affordable light fixtures at thrift stores and garage sales– all they need is a little love and TLC!
2. Chalkboard paint
3. Painter’s tape
How To Do It:
1. Clean the light fixture with a dry cloth. Mine had a few stickers that I had to remove and lots of dust!
2. With your painter’s tape, cover any areas of the fixture that you do not want to paint. I simply covered the cord of the fixture.
3. Paint it! Make sure you completely follow the instructions on your chalkboard paint. Most chalkboard paints require that you wait 24 hours for the paint to cure before you can write on the surface.
4. Once cured, decorate it! Remember, though, write on the light before you turn it on– it could get too hot to write on once on.You can write a quote on it:
or draw cool patterns on it like this:
There are so many possibilities! You could use it as a unique craft booth display where you write the prices on the light above a group of items or simply write your business name on it. I would recommend using a low heat light bulb because I’m not 100% sure how the chalkboard paint will react with the heat. I will update this post and let you guys know how mine does.
What would you do with this unique chalkboard light? Share your ideas with us!
Looking for more chalkboard paint projects? Check these out:
Get non-toxic and cruelty free beauty and health tips from FeelGoodStyle!