Published on August 17th, 2012 | by Becky Striepe2
DIY Beauty: Beat Breakouts with a Tomato Lemon Face Mask
Whether it’s hormones, humidity, or just bad luck, breakouts are no fun at all. You feel self conscious about your blemishes, and often those zits just plain hurt! Boo!
The best way to fight breakouts is by preventing them in the first place, both from the inside out and on the surface. A healthy diet full of fruits and veggies can go a long way towards healthier skin, and drinking plenty of water can also help prevent breakouts. On the outside, it’s of course important to keep your face clean, but you can add a little oomph to your breakout-fighting routine with this tomato lemon face mask!
The citric acid in the lemon and tomato along with tomato’s lycopene help your skin get rid of dead cells and other gunk that can clog pores and cause breakouts. I do have two things to caution you about this mask:
1. It is OK to use the lemon tomato mask while you’re dealing with a breakout, but if you have broken skin on your face you’re better off waiting. The acid in the lemon and tomato can irritate broken skin.
2. Lemon juice makes your skin more sensitive to light, so make sure you wash this mask off thoroughly after using it, and it’s best to do it in the evening, to give your skin time to bounce back before too much sun exposure.
You can use this mask once a week to help maintain glowing skin and avoid breakouts. Here’s the recipe!
DIY Tomato Lemon Face Mask
- 1 teaspoon rolled oats
- 1 small tomato – about the size of your fist or smaller will do the trick
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
1. Put the oats into your blender or food processor and blend until it forms a powder, then add the tomato and lemon juice and blend until smooth.
2. After washing your face, massage the mask on, letting it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, then use a warm, damp washcloth to wipe the mask away.
That’s it! Three ingredients and maybe 20 minutes from start to finish. Not bad!
Hungry for more? Check out deets on what your breakouts could means and some more DIY acne treatments or learn how to make your own tomato facial scrub!
Image Credit: Tomato photo via Shutterstock
Get non-toxic and cruelty free beauty and health tips from FeelGoodStyle!