Published on August 11th, 2012 | by Guest Contributor1
DIY Banana Milkshake Hair Mask
Bananas and coconut milk are the stars of this easy DIY hair mask recipe.
You know how bananas have that funny way of turning brown and mushy before you even get around to eating all of them? Well now you don’t have to hang your head in shame realizing you just wasted yet another bunch of bananas. Instead you can use them for a simple and sweet (literally) natural hair mask, no matter what color they are.
Introducing the banana milkshake DIY hair mask, and no, my milkshakes do not bring all the boys to the yard, but it does bring the shine back to your summer hair.
This mask is great because the bananas are packed full of nutrients such as potassium, vitamin B6, folate and other good-for-your-hair ingredients while the coconut milk contains lauric acid which helps to keep your hair strong and cleans away any dead skin cells which may have gotten trapped in your tresses.
Banana Milkshake Hair Mask
- 1-2 bananas (or 3 if you have really long or thick hair)
- coconut milk, enough to thin out your bananas
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder or a few strawberries (your choice)
1. Blend your bananas with your honey and cocoa (or strawberries) until you have a smooth paste with no chunks. Please note that you can technically mash up these ingredients really well and stir by hand – it isn’t essential that you have a food processor or blender, it’s just easier.
2. Once your mixture is nice and smooth, pour in your coconut milk and mix until you get the same consistency you would find with any typical hair conditioner.
3. When you are ready to go, begin with dry hair and make sure you are standing over a sink or in your bathtub. Then just work the mixture into your hair until it’s completely drenched from root to tip and cover with a shower cap to ensure it doesn’t drip all over the place.
4. After 20 minutes wash your hair as you normally would, although you probably won’t have to condition it, but do make sure you get all of the mask out of your hair.
And there you have it! A quick and easy DIY hair mask that not only tames your tresses but tastes amazing. Seriously. You should save some and drink it.
Vanessa is a skincare blogging babe who blogs and vlogs about all things skincare related, including natural solutions such as essence of Argan. The best part about her job? She gets to help her readers look and feel their very best!
Image Credit: DIY Hair Mask photo via Shutterstock
Get non-toxic and cruelty free beauty and health tips from FeelGoodStyle!