Published on April 24th, 2012 | by Guest Contributor7
Tea Is For Tanning
It’s no secret that getting your tan on, both outside or inside a tanning bed, is damaging to your skin as well as your health. And self-tanners? Well they ain’t that great either! They coat your skin in synthetic chemicals, dyes, and can leave you looking like you just got back from The Jersey Shore. Yeah. Not exactly a good look.
Since I am one of those ladies whose skin gets so white in the winter I could blend in with the snow, I like to try to keep a healthy glow about me, without having to turn to the chemicals. That is why I got oh-so-excited when I discovered that I could get my tan on at home for pennies per tan, and best of all, keep it natural!
Get ready to squeal with excitement fellow green queens as I introduce you to DIY tanning with….tea!
How to Tan with Tea
I’m currently loving this DIY beauty secret and wishing I had discovered it before spring hit, because not only is it good for your skin but it’s uber-cheap, foolproof, and will stay on for around 4 days. The process is simple.
- 2 cups of water
- 4 or 5 black tea bags
- a spray bottle
- Find a spot in your bathroom where you can get a little messy. I suggest the bathtub.
- Boil the water, add your tea bags, and leave them in there to steep for about 15 minutes.
- During this time have a quick shower so you aren’t oily or sweaty, ensuring your tan won’t end up streaky and will dry evenly.
- Once you are done your shower, you are completely dried off, and your tea is cool enough to spray on without burning yourself, remove the tea bags and pour your tea into your spray bottle.
- Sit down in your bathtub and proceed to spray yourself evenly with your tea. I always find it best to focus on one body part at a time, allowing it to dry before moving onto another body part, so you can ensure the tan looks exactly the way you want.
- Optional: If you want a darker shade, spray yourself a second or third time until you get your desired color.
Once you are satisfied with your tan, make sure you are completely dry before getting dressed as the tea will stain your clothes, then pair your newly faux sun-kissed skin with one of the season’s hottest bright colors! I’m currently loving tangerine everything – it really makes that tan pop.
And voila! A healthy, DIY tan that stays put, won’t leave you looking like Snooki, doesn’t use harsh chemicals, and is a healthy alternative to soaking up the damaging UV rays.
Vanessa is a skincare blogging babe whose work can be found on various websites around cyberland, including reviews on Natox , as well as other popular skincare brands. The best part about her job? She has awesome skin!
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by Unhindered by Talent
Get non-toxic and cruelty free beauty and health tips from FeelGoodStyle!