Published on March 20th, 2012 | by Green Diva Meg1
Reasons to Switch to Recycled Toilet Paper
Our feature interview was with our favorite green car dude, John Voelcker, Sr. editor of GreenCarReports.com. He answered a listener’s question about what to buy for best value and efficiency if you had $15k to spend on a car. Also, talked about another question regarding RVs. Always discussion on latest in electric vehicles and biodiesel.
The Sleeping Naked is Green
The Environmental Impact of Paper Towels
- Generally one-time use
- Aside from trees being used, most brands use bleach in the process, which releases dioxins into the environment – dioxins are bad, causing birth defects and cancer
The Environmental Impact of Toilet Paper
- In a New York Times article about toilet paper and its impact on the environment, RISI an independent market analysis firm in Bedford, Mass., the pulp from one eucalyptus tree, a commonly used tree, produces as many as 1,000 rolls of toilet tissue. Americans use an average of 23.6 rolls per capita a year.
- Our obsession w/ fluffy soft TP is costing our forests: According the same New York Times article,
. . . fluffiness comes at a price: millions of trees harvested in North America and in Latin American countries, including some percentage of trees from rare old-growth forests in Canada. Although toilet tissue can be made at similar cost from recycled material, it is the fiber taken from standing trees that help give it that plush feel, and most large manufacturers rely on them.
- Suck it up and use recycled TP!
- Get recycled paper towels – use less natural resources and energy to produce
- Use washable dish towels instead of paper towels
- Paper Towel v. electric hand dryer – use the hand dryer. it actually uses more energy to produce the towel(s) and people tend to use several at a time
Listen this Sleeping Naked is Green 5-minute segment.
Why We Should Care
Please join us in being part of the solution! Visit our Why Should We Care Campaign page and enjoy our silly short video, donate and share (and get some awesome goodies when you do)!
Meanwhile, we are busy lining up some interesting high-profile folks, who are passionate about a variety of causes that help to make this a better world, for this ongoing feature on the radio show. Look forward to hearing from Fran Drescher, Frederique and Carol Alt - all beautiful, passionate women using their power of celebrity and success for good - in the coming few weeks! More fun surprise guests for this segment soon to be announced!
Gettin Local with the Green Divas: Wherever You Are!
We launched this new segment about living local, which is sponsored by the Daily Record’s Grassroots section. While we talk about what’s going on in our local region, our goal is to highlight ideas that can be shared in any and all communities. This week’s topic was local food systems.
You can listen to the entire show or download the podcast from here.
Please visit Green Divas website for LOTS of relevant links & resources from the show.
Get non-toxic and cruelty free beauty and health tips from FeelGoodStyle!